Sunday, June 5, 2011

YA Challenge: Goodies and Events

I'm freshly back from my sister's baby shower, so I was super busy since I last posted getting ready for that. Yesterday-- Saturday-- I managed to edit 2000~ words. I did, however, learn that Word 2007 has the capability of performing the Flesch-Kincaid test for readability and grade level, which I ran on Morgana Tremaine. It puts the reading level at age 12, which is perfect, and at grade 4.5. Flesch-Kincaid apparently has some issues, but it's still rather comforting.

I also received today when I got my weekend mail The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction.


It seems pretty good so far. I'm on chapter five, so not very far in. We'll see a bit later on. The cover really turned me off, but I read an excerpt and the table of contents and all seemed well, so here's hoping. The writer seems to be laboring under the unfortunate, inaccurate assumption that fantasy is still a man's world, so I kind of want to hit him, but he's at least trying to be PC. Trying and failing, but he is trying.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some work done tonight!

No comments: