Monday, June 6, 2011

YA Challenge: 1200 words written and a minor feminist freak out

I managed to get a lot of work on Morgana Tremaine done today. There were 1200 of writing, which is 200 over my daily goal, and I also figured out a lot of tangential world-building stuff, as well as a few outlines and basic ideas. I now know which order her cases need to go in, how they hitch together to build the overall story arc, how big her class size is-- yes, this is important-- and who's in it. Oh, and working out the magic system. Which I always have a love/hate relationship with. It's so hard, yet I find it really interesting.

I also invented an awesome, awesome name for a side character. Can he have his own novel please please please? I kid you not about this awesome name. Sigh.

On chapter fourteen in The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction. It's still pretty awesome, though the writing, at least, makes it seem as if the writer thinks that fantasy is a boy's world. Which hasn't been true for at least thirty years. Also, every time there is an opportunity to have a "victim" character be referred to be a female pronoun, he does it. The feminist in me rages and shakes her fist; the optimist in me says quietly, "Maybe he didn't mean it that way...."; and the pessimist agrees with the feminist and adds, "And the fact that he might not have meant to do it is more frightening. Latent sexism is the worst."

Sigh. Too many classes in feminist theory. I'm starting to feel oppressed all the time. >_<

No comments: